03-08-02 Post Battle Report:   

Ref: Tom Bauman
Players: (Soviet) Les Hostetler, Matt Marlen, (German) Jim Cluck, Walsh Keely, Tom Schlarman

Turn One: Initial moves - the Soviets moved out into the territory, forming a basic tank line as they fanned out across the landscape. The Reds knew they were going to end up in some hidden German's crosshairs, so they headed for the nature border marked by the farmhouse and ploughed fields at full move rate.

Turn Two: The Soviets continued advancing, but the German positions soon made themselves apparent...

`from the west, an anti-tank gun opened up, killing a T-85;
`a Panzer IV from the northeast bounced a shell off a T-76, while another -IV fired a shot, but missed
`a Panther fired HE at a T-85 which was serving as a troop carrier, killing most of the infantry;
`another Panther fired HE at a T-76 with troops, causing terrible damage;
`two T-76's, traversing the open, ploughed fields, hit mines, threw tracks and were disabled.

In response, a squad of infantry deployed off another T-85, to advance on the farmhouse and, after, the entrenched ATG position on foot. The Soviets, as they had done the entire war, substituted with sheer numbers what they lacked in punch.

Turn Three: By the early part of T3, the Red infantry was in full dismount, and began using what little cover that was available to continue advancing as best as they were able. A T-76 surmounted a small rock wall, where it discovered and (unsuccessfully) strafed a German troop carrier unloading commandoes; the riders atop the -76 wildly tossed grenades in hopes of a lucky hit landing inside the open-topped armored car, but no such luck, and return fire from the Germans killed several riders. 

At this point, the already-heavy weather turned sour, and the snow began coming down in earnest; visibility worsened considerably, mostly to the detriment of the still-moving Red tanks. The T-76 platoons continued moving forward, eager to catch the hated Germans. A bit of forest to the east hid a panzerschreck team, however, and another Russian tank was turned into ruined metal, while that the same time concentrated fire from the Panzers did the same to one of the trapped -76's in the minefield.

Turn Four: By now, the initial sorties over and the weather reducing visibility to near zero, the battle ground to a far slower pace. Both the Soviets and the Germans fought the weather more than they did each other. One of the T-85's hit a Panther square, only to see the shell bounce off the heavy front plate armor of the big tank; in the meantime, a pair of T-76's killed a Panzer and the halftrack behind the farmhouse. 

Turn Five: The Soviets continued to move up their bigger T-85's, but the weather continued to hamper the activities of both combatants; some infantry, scrambling to take the relative safety of the farmhouse from the oppising forces, tossed grenades into the open windows and doors, but botched throws killed as many Russians as Germans.

Victory: Germany.